Tuesday, January 5, 2021

Fruits from pot grown Port Jackson Figs. I’ve included the trunks because you can see that the seed-grown one has buttress roots forming while the specimen grown from a cutting has a straight trunk. Now I’m sure I learnt this trick at Burnley a long time ago, possibly from @mayhorticulture. As I remember it the idea is that as because Port Jackson Figs are an extremely robust tree with some potential as a street tree having specimens without buttress roots would make them easier to manage. If this is all some strange mixed up educational memory then someone please let me know! Meanwhile I can tell you with certainty that the original provenance of these specimens is the eastern Warrumbungle Ranges in NSW at the western edge of their natural distribution and nowhere near Port Jackson (Sydney). Here they grow on cliffs, rocky outcrops or boulders, anywhere safe from fire and frost. As for the fruits when they’re ripe they’re really tasty with a slightest gritty aftertaste I’ll admit #bushfoods #bushfoodsofaustralia #wildfoods #australiannativefruit #australiannativetrees #australianrainforestplants #ficusrubiginosa #portjacksonfig #urbantrees #treesinpots #treepropagation #ihopethatsright #correctmeifimwrong


via People Plants Landscapes https://ift.tt/2LjtGcN

No comments:

Post a Comment